Are you or is someone you know interested in helping new students get connected to campus? Do you want to help new freshmen succeed, while also learning to better develop your own leadership style and skills?
Become a MENTOR!
The RISE Peer Mentoring Program (Retention through Interpersonal Student Engagement) assists with the transition of first-time freshmen into the Cal State LA community. By matching current Cal State LA students with new incoming freshmen, RISE will provide opportunities for mentees to:
- Learn more about their campus community
- Better understand the importance of campus involvement, leading to greater retention
- Build personal bonds that will encourage them to persist and succeed
Student mentors can also expect to:
- Develop invaluable leadership skills
- Engage with campus faculty and administrators
- “Pay It Forward” by helping other students reach their academic goals
- And, receive a STIPEND for training and participation!
Participation in RISE as a mentor or mentee is open to students interested in connecting with the African-American student experience.
If you are interested, please complete the RISE Supplemental Application. The deadline to complete and turn in the application is Friday, March 10, 2017 by 5 pm.
If you have any questions, please contact New Student and Parent Programs at 323.343.3195, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.